Get Drink Driving car insurance with a DR10 conviction
A DR10 conviction means you were found guilty of driving or attempting to drive while your alcohol level was above the legal limit. A DR10 conviction can make it more challenging to find car insurance at an affordable rate but there are a number of specialist drink driving insurance providers who can provide convicted drivers with a fair quote.
DR10 convictions explained
A DR10 conviction is the most common type of drink driving related offence and means you were caught driving with your alcohol level above the legal limit. DR10 is a code used by the police and is one of the many DR offences related to drink driving.
The punishment for a DR10 conviction is 3-11 points on your licence and you are very like to face disqualification for 12 months and even a prison sentence, depending on whether anybody was injured or killed and how much alcohol was in your system.
How much can I drink before being over the limit?
Drink driving in England and Wales is when you drive with more than –
- 35 micrograms of alcohol per 100 milliiliters of breath
- 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood
- 107 milligrams per 100 millilitres of urine
Everyone reacts to alcohol differently and how well it’s metabolised by your system depends on many different factors, such as your age, weight, how tired you are, whether you’re male or female etc. This being the case, it’s very difficult to judge if you’re over the legal limit so it’s better to not drink at all before you drive.
Do I need to declare a DR10 conviction?
A DR10 offence will stay on your licence for 11 years after your conviction. While your conviction is unspent, you are legally obligated to inform insurance providers about it. Failure to do this means that your policy could be voided at any time and any claims you make invalid.
Types of DR10 car insurance
- Third party - Third party insurance is the minimum level of cover you need to drive your vehicle legally. It’s also the cheapest type of cover so it’s often a good option when you have a conviction and want to keep costs to a minimum.
- Third party, fire and theft - Third party, fire and theft will cover for accidents as well as fire damage to your vehicle and theft.
- Fully comprehensive - Fully comprehensive insurance will give you the most protection for your vehicle and will cover you for accidents that you’re liable for as well as fire and theft in most cases.
How to save money on DR10 car insurance
Some good ways to save money on DR10 car insurance include –
- Increase excess – Excess is the amount you would pay towards a claim should you need to make one. Adding more excess can help you to reduce your monthly payments.
- Shop around – Getting quotes from different insurance providers is always a must when you’re looking to save money on car insurance. Thankfully it’s very easy to do this now.
- Pay upfront – If you’re able to pay for your policy on a yearly basis as opposed to monthly, then most insurance providers will offer you a significant discount.
Drink Driving Motoring Conviction Codes
|DR10||Driving or attempting to drive with alcohol level above limit||3-11|
Get DR10 car insurance quotes now
You can get DR10 car insurance quotes now by simply clicking the green button below. After filling in the necessary quote form, you’ll have access to your quotes and can decide which is best for you.