Getting drunk driving car insurance couldn’t be easier
With an unspent drink driving conviction you can expect to pay more but it doesn’t mean finding cover will be impossible. The panel of specialist drink driving insurance providers can help.
- Fair prices that match your drink driving conviction circumstances
- All cover levels, including – Third party, Third Party Fire & Theft and Comprehensive
- UK and European Insurance Cover
- Flexible payment options
- Instant insurance documents available
Drink driving car insurance - everything you need to know
- Be sure to declare any unspent drink driving convictions when looking for drink driving car insurance
- Find out if your conviction is spent or unspent by using the Unlock Disclosure Calculator
- A drink driving conviction will affect how much you pay for car insurance
- Get as many quotes as possible if you want to get the best price for your insurance
- Take any steps you can to lower the cost of your cover, including making your car secure
Car insurance with a DR10 conviction
DR10 – Driving or attempting to drive with alcohol level above limit, is by far the most common type of driving conviction related to drugs or alcohol. There are many types of convictions that are related to drinking, for example you might be unfit to drive because of drinking but are not over the limit; or you might be clearly intoxicated and refuse to be breath tested. A DR10 is specifically for people who drive, or attempt to drive, when their alcohol level is shown to be above the safe limit. We also have a dedicated drug driving insurance page. You can get DR10 car insurance from the insurance providers on the panel also.
Get car insurance quotes with a DR20 conviction
Another common type of drink conviction is DR20 - driving or attempting to drive while unfit through drink. The difference between a DR10 and DR20 might not be immediately clear. With a DR10, your blood alcohol level is over the legal limit, however with a DR20 you don’t need to be over the legal limit in order to be charged. Click the quote button on this page to get quotes for a DR20 conviction now.
Did you know…?
Getting cover from drink driving conviction car insurance specialists is a great way to save money
Drink driving car insurance FAQ
Do I have to declare my conviction?
Whether you’re obligated to inform insurance providers about your drink driving conviction will depend on whether it’s spent or unspent. Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, convictions become spent after a certain amount of time. This simple means that you’re no longer obligated to declare them to employers, insurance providers etc. The amount of time before a conviction is spent will depend on the severity of the punishment you received as a result.
Although you’re not technically obligated to declare unspent drink driving convictions to insurance providers if you’re not asked about it, it could result in your cover being voided if you needed to make a claim and this was discovered later.
Why does a drink driving conviction affect the cost of car insurance?
The simple reason that a drink driving conviction affects the cost of car insurance is simply because people with convictions are considered to be higher risk, even if the conviction isn’t driving-related. Even if you know you’re very unlikely to get another conviction, the fact remains that people who already have a conviction are more likely to have another one compared to people who do do not have any. Car insurance for drink drivers is therefore more expensive.
How much will cover cost?
The cost of a drink driving car insurance policy is dependent on a few important factors. The main ones being –
- Your age - Your age is always an important factor that insurance providers take into account. Drivers who are under 25 are considered to be higher risk by insurers since they’re statistically more likely to be involved in a collision that requires a claim. If you have a conviction and are under 25 then unfortunately this is 2 strikes against you.
- How serious your conviction was - The severity of your drink driving conviction will also affect how much you pay for cover. For example if you were many times over the limit and your actions resulted in the death or serious injury of any person then you can expect to pay more than somebody who was only just over the limit.
- The value of your car - The value of the car you’re insuring will certainly affect the cost of your policy too.
- Where you park your car – Where your car is kept when it’s not in use is certainly a big factor that will impact the cost of your car insurance. Ideally you would have a locked garage or secure driveway to park your car in since cars parked on the road are at much more risk of theft and vandalism.
The are two types of convictions - spent and unspent. Once a conviction is spent you’re no longer obligated to inform insurance providers.
Saving money on drink driving car insurance
- Take a drink driving rehabilitation course - some insurers offer discounts for people convicted of drink driving who complete one of these courses.
Higher voluntary excess – When insurance companies know you are willing to pay more if you claim, they know you are less likely to claim at all.
- Limit your mileage - If you have lower annual mileage insurers consider this a lower risk
- Limit your cover options - Limiting the level of cover you get is a very easy way to cut down the cost of car insurance. A third party only policy can be the cheapest option and while it won’t provide cover for your own vehicle, it will make it road legal.
- Get a modest car - If practicality i.e. getting from A to B is most important to you then there’s no need to get an expensive car, not least because it will greatly affect how much you pay for your insurance, particularly if you have a drink driving conviction.
- Pay upfront - If you can afford to pay for your insurance upfront on an annual basis then most insurance providers will offer you a good discount for doing this. Of course you’ll pay more upfront but the saving you make overall is often significant.
- Get many quotes - Getting a lot of quotes is a very good way to save money on drink driving car insurance. When you have a lot of quotes you can easily compare them and choose the one that’s best value for money.
Avoiding drink driving convictions
Knowing the amount of drink you’re able to have before being over the UK drink driving limit is certainly useful when you want to avoid getting a drink driving conviction. Also making sure that you prepare for any meals/nights out where you know alcohol will be involved in an advance is a great idea, whether you need to order a taxi or have a designated driver.
Get car insurance for drivers with DR driving convictions now!
When you click the button below, you’ll receive insurance quotes from a panel of specialist providers who offer cover to convicted drivers.
If you’ve been convicted of an offence related to drink or drugs then you could find it very difficult to obtain a fair insurance quote from a mainstream provider.
Drink Driving Motoring Conviction Codes
|DR10||Driving or attempting to drive with alcohol level above limit||3-11|
|DR20||Driving or attempting to drive while unfit through drink||3-11|
|DR30||Driving or attempting to drive then failing to supply a specimen for analysis||3-11|
|DR31||Driving or attempting to drive then refusing to give permission for analysis of a blood sample that was taken without consent due to incapacity||3-11|
|DR61||Refusing to give permission for analysis of a blood sample that was taken without consent due to incapacity in circumstances other than driving or attempting to drive||10|
|Offences DR40 to DR70 will stay on your driving licence for 4 years from the date of the offence|
|DR40 –||In charge of a vehicle while alcohol level above limit||10|
|DR50||In charge of a vehicle while unfit through drink||10|
|DR60||Failure to provide a specimen for analysis in circumstances other than driving or attempting to drive||10|
|DR70||Failing to provide specimen for breath test||4|
Cheap car insurance for drink drivers
If you have a DR10 conviction or any of the other DR convictions listed above then you might be concerned you won’t be able to get cover for a reasonable price. However the panel of specialist providers take your unique circumstances into account when providing a quote.
Click the green button below and you’ll receive insurance quotes from a panel of specialist providers in a matter of minutes.