Getting drug driving car insurance couldn’t be easier
With an unspent drug driving conviction drivers can expect to pay more but finding cover isn’t impossible. The panel of specialist drug driving insurance providers can help you with a tailored quote.
- Fair prices based on your drug driving conviction and circumstances
- All levels of, including – Third party, Third Party Fire & Theft and Comprehensive
- UK and Europe Cover
- Numerous Flexible payment options
- Instant insurance documents
Drug driving car insurance - everything you need to know
Below is some information on the different types of drug driving offences there are and how you can get cover at an affordable rate if you have a drug driving conviction. We also have a dedicated page for drink driving insurance.
- Any unspent convictions must be declared to insurance providers
- The drug driving limits will vary depending on the particular drug
- A drug driving conviction will mean you can typically expect to pay more than somebody who does not have a conviction
- You can save money on drug driving car insurance by getting a lot of quotes from specialist insurance providers
Drug driving convictions
Below are the differing types of drug driving convictions.
Car insurance quotes with a DR80 conviction
If you have a DR80 conviction then you might be worried that getting car insurance with a conviction might mean you won’t be able to get cover at a reasonable rate. However there are specialist providers who can offer you cover at a fair price.
Car insurance with a DG10 conviction
A DG10 conviction is for when you’re found to be driving or attempting to drive over the legal drug level. The legal level varies from one drug to the next. For example prescription drugs such as morphine and methadone have a higher limit than illegal street drugs.
Get car insurance with a DG30 conviction
A DG30 is a conviction where death was caused as a result of careless driving when you were over the legal drug level. Click the green button on this page to get car insurance quotes for a DG30 conviction now.
Car insurance with a DR90 conviction
A DR90 is when you were found to be in charge of a vehicle while unfit through drugs. The drug drive limits vary depending on the particular drug but even a very small amount of certain drugs can render you unfit to drive.
Getting car insurance quotes at a reasonable rate is certainly possible when you have a drug driving conviction.
Drug driving car insurance FAQ
How much will drug driving car insurance cost?
The cost of a drug driving insurance policy isn’t the same for everyone since it will depend on some unique factors. The main things that affect the cost of a drug driving insurance policy are –
- Your age
- Your driving experience
- How serious your conviction was
- The value of your car
- The size of your car
- Where you park your car
Do I have to declare spent convictions to insurance companies?
If your conviction is spent then you are not obligated to inform insurance providers if you’re not specifically asked about it. Some insurers will require you to inform them of any convictions, regardless of whether they’re spent or unspent. It’s important that you do this as it may invalidate your cover later if you don’t
Are there limits to the type of cover I can get?
This will vary from one insurance provider to the next. Some insurers will be happy to provide you with a very comprehensive policy that includes cover for you own vehicle as well as things like fire and theft; whereas other insurers may only be able to offer you a basic third party only policy.
Can I get cover for a van?
Yes. If you have a drug driving conviction and want to get insurance for a van rather than a car then simply visit this page to get quotes now.
What if I’ve been disqualified?
You can get insurance after a driving ban provided you have re-obtained your licence. The amount of time you’re disqualified from driving depends on the conviction. If you acquired 12 points on your licence within a 3 year period for example, then you’ll typically receive a 6 month ban. Any bans that are over 56 days mean you will have to apply for your licence before you can drive again.
What about adding other people to the policy?
You are able to add other named drivers to a drug driving car insurance policy. However it should be noted that if your reason for doing this is to lower the price then it will not work since any convictions of any drivers on the policy will be taken into account by insurance providers.
Do I have to declare warnings and cautions?
No. If you have received a verbal warning from the police then you do not have to declare this to insurance providers. It is only criminal convictions that you must declare.
Drug driving doesn’t always receive the same attention as drink driving but it still carries very serious penalties and can seriously affect your ability to get cover.
Save money on drug driving car insurance
Below are some excellent ways you can save money on drug driving car insurance –
- Limit cover options - One of the easiest ways you can save money on drug driving car insurance is to limit your cover options. You can choose exactly what level of cover you want to get with a drug driving insurance policy. The cheapest option is a third party only policy. This means your car is legal to drive although it doesn’t provide any protection for your own vehicle unless you add fire and theft to the policy.
- Make your car secure – Any steps you can take to make you car secure will also help to reduce the cost of your car insurance policy. Most modern vehicles come with an alarm and central locking but you should also think about using a steering wheel lock to add an extra layer of security.
- Pay upfront - Paying for your policy on an annual basis rather than monthly will help you to make a significant saving with most insurance providers. It’s true that you’ll pay more upfront but the benefit is that you’ll pay less for the overall cost of the policy.
- Use a dash cam - An increasing number of people are now using dash cams and their sales over the last few years have soared in the UK. As a result, there are now a number of insurance providers who offer discounts to drivers who use a dash cam since it can help to clear up who’s to blame for an accident.
- Shop around - Shopping around to get a lot of quotes from different insurance providers is a must if you want to save money on drug driving car insurance. When you have a lot of quotes you’re able to easily compare them and choose the one that’s best.
Drug Driving Motoring Conviction Codes
|DR80, DG10 and DG30 will stay on your licence for 11 years from the date of the offence|
|DR80||Driving or attempting to drive when unfit through drugs||3-11|
|DG10||Driving or attempting to drive with drug level above the specified limit||3-11|
|DG30||Causing death by careless driving with drug level above the limit||3-11|
|DR90 will stay on your licence for 4 years from the date of the offence|
|DR90||In charge of a vehicle when unfit through drugs||10|
Get car insurance quotes with a drug driving conviction now
If you have any of the above convictions and want to get car insurance quotes then simply click the green button below. After providing the required information, you’ll be sent your tailored quotes from the panel of convicted drivers insurance specialists. All you have to do is pick the one that’s right for you.