Lets get you back on the road after your drug driving conviction!
With an unspent drug driving conviction drivers can expect to pay more but finding cover isn’t impossible. The panel of specialist drug driving insurance providers can help you with a tailored quote.
- Fair prices based on your drug driving conviction and circumstances
- All levels of, including – Third party, Third Party Fire & Theft and Comprehensive
- UK and Europe Cover
- Numerous Flexible payment options
- Instant insurance documents
Drug Driving Car Insurance
If you have a drug driving conviction that is unspent, then you should expect your DR80 insurance premiums to be higher. However, it isn’t impossible to find the cover you need. A DR80 insurance quote that is tailored to you can be found via the penal of specialist drug driving insurance providers. They will be able to look at fair prices based on your circumstances and convictions, this includes all levels of cover, European cover as well as UK cover. They will also be able to look at flexible payment options, and you will get your documentation instantly.
Everything you need to know about drug driving and insurance
In the UK, driving a motor vehicle when you are not in a fit state to do so because of drugs, both legal and illegal ones, is an offence. As a driver, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are not over the legal limit for drugs and that if you are on prescription drugs you are allowed to drive while taking them – ignorance is not an excuse. While it is more common to hear about drink driving in the press, the penalty for drug driving is also heavy. If you have a conviction for drug driving, then you will be considered higher risk by insurance providers and will require specialist drug driving insurance cover that takes your conviction into account.
The laws were updated on 2nd March 2015, and the roadside drug testing kit was introduced. These new updates to the law saw a staggering rise of 140% in the rate of drivers who were charged nationally. The statistics are startling, drug drivers are around 30 times more likely to be involved in a serious accident, and around 200 deaths per annum are caused by drug driving.
- Declare any unspent convictions
- Depending on the drug in question the drug driving limits will vary
- You should expect to pay more for your insurance if you have a drug driving conviction
- Quotes from specialist insurance providers can help you to save money if you have a drug driving conviction
Drug Driving Motoring Conviction Codes
There are several different types of drug driving convictions, with the following endorsement codes:
|DR80, DG10 and DG30 will stay on your licence for 11 years from the date of the offence|
|DR80||Driving or attempting to drive when unfit through drugs||3-11|
|DG10||Driving or attempting to drive with drug level above the specified limit||3-11|
|DG30||Causing death by careless driving with drug level above the limit||3-11|
|DR90 will stay on your licence for 4 years from the date of the offence|
|DR90||In charge of a vehicle when unfit through drugs||10|
Drug Driving Penalties – A quick guide
In addition to points on your licence, the following penalties are in place from drug driving.
- 1-year driving ban (minimum)
- Up to £5000 in fines
- A criminal record
- In the event that a death is caused by your driving a prison sentence
What is the cost of drug driving car insurance?
When it comes to any type of driving insurance policy there are a number of factors that will have an impact on the cost and the same is true with drug driving car insurance. Things that affect your policy are:
- Driving experience
- How serious the drug driving conviction
- The value and size of your car
- Where the car is parked
You are not obliged to inform your insurance provider of any spent convictions you have, as long as they don’t specifically ask. Be aware however that some insurers will require information on both spent and unspent convictions, failing to give them this information could invalidate your insurance.
What type of cover can I get?
This will depend on the insurance provider; some will offer a fully comprehensive policy with fire and theft cover while others will only offer a third party only basic policy. You can also get cover for a van rather than a car.
What happens is I have been disqualified?
If you have re-obtained your licence following a driving ban, you will be able to get insurance. The length of your disqualification will depend on the conviction you receive, 12 points on your licence in a 3-year period will usually earn you a 6-month ban. If you are banned for 56 days or more, you will need to reapply for your licence before you can drive again.
Can I add others to my policy?
While it is possible to add other people to your policy it will not lower your premiums as the convictions of drivers on the policy are what the insurance company take into consideration.
Must I declare warnings and cautions?
If you have received a verbal warning from the police, then no you do not have to declare these. You must, however, declare criminal convictions.
How to save money on your drug driving car insurance
If you are looking to save money on your drug driving insurance, then there are a couple of things you can consider:
- Limit cover option – choose the level of cover that you want carefully, the more cover you choose, the more it will cost. Third party only is the cheapest option.
- Secure your car – make sure your vehicle is secured when you are not there, and if it doesn’t have an alarm, consider getting one. A steering wheel lock can also be a good idea.
- Pay annually – paying your insurance up front in one go rather than monthly will work out cheaper.
- Add a dash cam – Some insurance providers offer discounts for drivers with dash cams so it might be worth investing.
- Shop around – Get quotes from lots of different insurance providers to see who can offer you the best deal on your drug driver car insurance.
Get car insurance quotes with a drug driving conviction now
If you have any of the above convictions and want to get car insurance quotes then simply click the green button below. After providing the required information, you’ll be sent your tailored quotes from the panel of convicted drivers insurance specialists. All you have to do is pick the one that’s right for you.